Thursday, May 10, 2012

Representative Phil Gingrey, MD. on ENDA


May 10, 2012

Mr. Joshua A. Fisher
(My Address)
(My Address Continued)

Dear Mr. Fisher:

Thank you for contacting me to express your opinion regarding H.R. 1397, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act of 2011.  As your Congressman, I appreciate hearing your thoughts and welcome every opportunity to be of service.

As you are aware, H.R. 1397 was introduced by Representative Barney Frank (D-MA) on April 6, 2011.  If enacted, it would make it illegal for employers to discriminate against an individual on the basis of sexual orientation.  H.R. 1397 was referred to the House Committee on Education and the Workforce, the Committee on the Judiciary, the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, and the Committee on House Administration, where it is currently awaiting further action. 

Although I do not condone discrimination, it is my opinion that the federal government continues to place too many regulations on private businesses.  I believe private business owners should have the freedom to make decisions as they see fit.  If people object to the hiring practices and services offered by a company, they have the freedom not to do business with or be employed by that company.

Because of this philosophy, I voted against similar legislation in the 110th Congress, which ultimately passed the House by a vote of 235-184.  Should H.R. 1397 come before the full House during the 112th Congress for a vote, I plan on opposing this legislation again. 

Again, thank you for sharing your concerns. If you feel that I may be of additional assistance on this, or any other matter of importance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me. I also invite you to sign up for my weekly email newsletter, or to share your ideas and opinions, by visiting my website at http://gingrey.house.gov or emailing me at gingrey.ga@mail.house.gov

You may also follow me on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/RepPhilGingrey),  Facebook(http://www.facebook.com/RepPhilGingrey), and Twitter, @ repphilgingrey , (http://www.twitter.com/RepPhilGingrey) for live updates from Washington.


"Those that dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their mind, wake in the day to find that all was vanity, but the dreamers of the day, are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams and make them real."

No comments:

Post a Comment