Tuesday, October 11, 2011

This Is What Is Wrong With The Mainstream Media

My Grandfather and I often like to discuss politics. I think he was inspired to send me the following link, after reading my 'Letter of Solidarity' the other day.

Here's the link. It's to an article in USA Today:


And after reading it, this was my response back to him:


Kousser says OWS eventually has to get political, and get partisan.

"This is how a movement grows up. It's not enough just to point out what's wrong. You need to affect the levers of power to change things. Politicians don't fear forces that can't change elections."

Eventually OWS has to get political, and get partisan??? Political, I can find acceptable, I do believe in the power of electoral politics, in statesmenship. But partisan? I do not like partisan politics, not one little bit! And I believe any Democrat that wishes to be a part of this movement needs to repent for the fact that they too have voted in favor of big banks and big businesses. The stimulus package was all about that, big banks and big businesses, not about the middle class or the 99%. What Kousser is suggesting in the second statement, especially when followed by the first, is that we cannot affect change in the electoral process without being partisan. I think that kind of mentality has brainwashed and stupified the American public.

The problem is two things. First, people believe that 'Partisan' means Democrat vs. Republican. They do not begin to fathom the Green Party or the Libertarian Party, let alone even smaller parties like the America First Party or the American Third Position Party. Every presidential cycle, hundreds of independents and write - ins run for office, and every time, because of the laws established by the corporate parties, they fight tooth and nail just to gain simple ballot access and because of the corporate bought mainstream media, they fight just for simple, basic news and media coverage.

What Mr. Kousser said, what USA Today published, it is exactly what is wrong with the Mainstream Media. It is exactly what is wrong with American politics, it is exactly what is wrong with the corporatist climate in this country and it is THE exact reason I personally want to be a part of this movement.

Many of the people who would be our leaders in this movement have had their chances, they don't deserve another. Who are we going to get to lead us? Former Senator and PAC runner Russ Feingold? MSM favorite and college professor Cornell West? Personally I don't think so. I'm ready to see many revolutions in this country. I hear every day about getting back to our Founding Fathers, well I believe our Founding Fathers truly believed that a farmer could be president. An every day worker could run for office and could win on the merit of what he was saying, not on the amount of money he accepted from big donors or the amount of time he got on FOX, MSNBC, ABC, CNN or CBS!

But, then again, what do I know. I'm simply a small part of that 99%, fed up with the current direction and climate of this country. I'm a single part of the middle class with political aspirations, but I don't want to be bought by AIG and stock market speculators. I want the American people to take off their Mainstream Media blinders and support a presidential candidate, not a party, and not a bank.

Thinking Out Loud,

Joshua Fisher

"Those that dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their mind, wake in the day to find that all was vanity, but the dreamers of the day, are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams and make them real."

No comments:

Post a Comment