Monday, April 30, 2012

"My Last Campaign"

This was in the subject line of an email I got from OFA (Obama for America) this morning. Seems like your regular fundraising email, right? They want some money, their swing has been for three bucks and the current winner of this contribution lottery may have the chance to meet both the current sitting president and George Clooney.

So what? The candidate is campaigning, he's asking for campaign funds, isn't that okay? Isn't that what candidates for elected office have been doing for countless years?

I could go on the typical "Why is the sitting president campaigning when we have people out of jobs, without healthcare or places to stay or food to eat?" rant, but I won't. Don't get me wrong, it is an important point and it SHOULD be made, in fact, I have made it, but today, I have a completely different focus.

Three words. My. Last. Campaign.

Is there a law that says he isn't allowed to run for office again? We can assume, based on his resume, that he believes in the power of elected office to affect change, right? So why not go back to Chicago and run for the Senate, the House Of Representatives, the state assembly of Illinois?

We all know the answer to this. It isn't about you and I. It won't be about the people of Chicago or the people of Illinois. It's about him, the DNC, all of his corporate givers. He wants this second term as president and he wants it to be his last campaign. Which can be prophetic if he loses. The American people he cares for so much, the American people he feels he's best for, don't deserve a second term out of him if it isn't consecutive?

It isn't profitable if it isn't consecutive.

Only a true lover of their country would run un-consecutively.

Mr. President, I am saddened that this will be your last campaign, not because I admire you as a politician or a leader, not because I do or don't agree that you are good for me or anyone else in the media/blogging world.

I am saddened to learn that this will be your last campaign based solely on the principle of the matter.

It's another sure sign that it's all about the damn money. Mr. President? Why don't you just  come out and admit it.

Please?

Because I'm going to feel compelled to go to the voting booth in November and I'd like at least a little honesty on which to base my vote.

Sincerely,

J.A. Fisher

"Those that dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their mind, wake in the day to find that all was vanity, but the dreamers of the day, are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams and make them real."

No comments:

Post a Comment