Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Day In The Life....

I’m campaigning for a presidential candidate in New Hampshire and today we did a robocall. I had the distinguished honor of answering the phone when people called in response to said robocalls. I’m going to proceed with absolute caution. The grass IS always greener on the other side. I do not know how often the people of New Hampshire get political phone calls, therefore I cannot know how annoying it is, or how much of an inconvenience it is. What I have to observe, however, is that these people mustn’t be too busy, they have time to call in and say some of the following, some of which I’m going to have to edit down to a PG-13 rating.

These are direct quotes, none of these are made up, welcome to the New Hampshire Primary Process:

“This is a business line and I’m actually a Democrat.”

“Put me on your don’t call list, please.”

(This one was particularly funny to me, my dad works nights) “Tell Buddy I work nights.”

“Can you keep me off your list? It’s a really obnoxious call going out.”

“That was the rudest call I’ve ever gotten and if you don’t take me off your list and I get a call from this number again I’m calling the Attorney General.”

“The part I got was creepy.”

One guy answered the standard ‘How may I help you’ with “By taking me off your F*cking call list” and then he promptly hung up.

I like this one because of the multi-personality grammar, “I myself, we’re voting for Ron Paul.”

*Sound of Disgust* “I wouldn’t vote for any of you knuckleheads” (A response I got when I told the caller that I was volunteering for a candidate seeking the Republican nomination.)

Most of these were followed by these people hanging up without giving me a chance to respond. Which I take to be rude and cowardly, but that’s just me.

One lady even said she was going to file a complaint because the robocall came to her cell phone.
Really?

“How dare a call come to my cell phone? I’m so distraught and frustrated over this thirty second personal invasion that I’m going to file a complaint!”

If you don’t like the candidate, or you don’t like the robocall, fine, but is there anyway to be less melodramatic about the situation? If a telemarketer calls me I don’t call back to inform them that I’m going to file a complaint. Heck! I don’t file a complaint. The telemarketer is trying to make a living. In this instance, a candidate is trying to make a difference in his country. If that offends you so badly, move to a smaller-minded, less free country. Why take it out on the campaign intern? Why act like your dog just got ran over or like you just had to sign over your first born child. I don’t get it. But then again, I’ve never been on New Hampshire’s side of the fence…

Thanks for listening,


Alexander Fisher
@JAFThrasher
"Those that dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their mind, wake in the day to find that all was vanity, but the dreamers of the day, are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams and make them real."

No comments:

Post a Comment